Monday, May 19, 2014

the voynich manuscript









As I was browsing the internet - pretty aimlessly as one does on Sunday afternoons - I accidentally came across some images from the Voynich Manuscript which immediately grabbed my attention. I downloaded a pdf file of the manuscript from yale university's library website and the more I was looking at it the more I realised that it sent shivers down my spine. There are ca. 250 pages of botanical illustrations and text - but the plants don't exist and neither does the language! Or at least no one has been able to identify them so far. I shared my discovery with my family and we spent hours looking at pages and pages of mysterious fantasy drawings and text trying to come up with our own theories as to the meanings of  the book.

The book was discovered in Italy in 19th c by Wilfred Voynich, a book dealer. The parchment was subsequently carbon-dated to 15th c. It has since perplexed numerous experts many of whom spent decades of their lifetime trying to decipher the texts and meaning and understand the purpose of the book. With many theories existing, so far all those attempts have been pretty unsuccessful.

Here's my two cents: this book is written and illustrated by a young dreamy - and/or very bored - Persian princess with an interest in landscape design and hanging out with her girl friends. While my husband suggested that this book must have been left behind by an alien chef and its title is something along the lines of "how to make women soup":)

No comments: