Monday, June 25, 2012

this week




Today for the first time in I don't know how long I held a paint brush in my hands and applied that paint to paper to create marvellous designs like these and printed them on synthetic fabrics. I am doing a short (very short, 5-day) course on printed textiles in the college of art and design here in Dublin. Today we learnt about transfer printing which is printing on synthetic fabrics with synthetic dyes. First you need to paint/print your design on paper and then heat them sandwiched together at high temperature so the dye transfers on to your fabric. You can build up your design by applying multiple layers. You can also use resists like I've done with those pieces of twigs and grass which leave the area underneath them without dye, white in this case. This is a lot of fun I must say and the good thing is that you don't need a professional press like the one we used in the class today - you can use iron at cotton settting. This is great! I liked experimenting with different colours. These dyes may be confusing as they come out totally different from what they look like on paper. I look forward to tomorrow - we'll be printing on natural fabrics. I'm bringing lots of linen!

No comments: