Thursday, July 8, 2010

On Bea McMahon's "Lace"


There are recollections (of objects/events) that for that reason or another leave profound and lasting impressions on us and that we keep coming back to. A couple of years ago I came across a brochure of an exhibition by an Irish artist Bea McMahon entitled "Lace". I put it away and couldn't find it ever since. I couldn't remember the name of the artist so couldn't find anything on the Internet. The fact that there is barely any information on Ms. McMahon on the net didn't help. Yesterday the brochure literally fell out of one of the presses, and I couldn't be happier. The exhibition was entitled Lace, Ms. McMahon was commissioned by the Dublin Docklands Development to produce images of the Docklands area. Amazingly I couldn't find any images of her works online, so had to scan the brochure. The brochure says "...the material of stitch/thread is an interesting juxtaposition to the harder materials of the construction industry. This juxtaposition is what makes these works on paper exceptionally beautiful and apparently delicate yet they posses all the formality and precision of design drawings." To me the precision of the stitched lines reminds relentless work of a cardiac monitor producing a reflection of heartbeat.



Also it reminds me of music by Bjork.

2 comments:

felipe said...

How come that so little of her work is available on internet... it's absolutely amazing...

KaftanSarafan said...

I totally agree, it's a mystery to me